Saturday, January 5, 2013

Lessons learned from last nights game...when 2:1 feels like 0:3

Hello,

           I'm writing this post before my second heroclix game this afternoon. I'm really struggling over a team idea for a No Mans Land month 2 with a constructed DC only modern age 5 dollar buy in. Even while I think of this upcoming event I can't help but to focus on last night.

         Last night was 450 consturcted DC only and 150 was from either a 5 figure booster or 4 single boosters. This part doesn't matter much other then the fact that someone gave me a DKR Marquee Batman because team packs were not allowed and I thought they were.

       The first game was challenging but I didn't really focus on it to much. The second game is where my mind focuses on. My team was as follows

ff Oracle 50
Big Barda 148
Wonder Woman 100
UB 10
Green Lantern 72
Void 70
Batman 105
GCPD Detective  on the outwit.

I faced the following...

Marquee Batman
GCPD Cruiser piloted
GCPD Officer
LT. Gordon
Parsite
Enchantress
OOTS Batman

           Both teams are strong. Placement was key. I messed up. I had my Green Lantern missed placed 1 square back. I also double powered action Barda carrying Wonder Woman WITH +2 AND FLURRY. I didn't have Barda attack first and I Wonder Woman attack first. Those two mistakes cost me the game. I got zero points from the game.

          Those two mistakes cost me and gave me a bit shell shock. Please understand I never have the mindset that I deserve to win. But when you know that you lost over something minor that had major consequences it makes you reflect. Do you push forward or go back to what you know. My goal with my team above was to be more aggressive since that isn't my style.  No one told me that I had to push myself. I decided to push myself. It cost me. That is a good thing. We can't think that substantial growth will be easy or cheap.

        My current challenge is anxiety. The desire to really get that piece you want but do you press forward or go to the tried and true.  Here are the teams I'm looking at for the 300 pts modern age DC only event for Batgirl

Team 1
Magog 172
ub 10
Beast Boy Dolphin 60
Enchantress 50

Team 2
batman 105
Batman 63
UB 10
Lucius Fox 35
Lt Gordon 68
gcpd bike 19 auto pilot


        Team 1 is tried and true tech of Magog death machine. You have Magog do a double power action  to flurry. Enchantress moves up by being carried by Beast Boy.  The general idea is that after Enchantress TK'S Magog she can get get carried by Beast Boy to be within prob range.

        Team 2 is more risky it feels. I have to be more on my placement, which is my weakness, then the other team. Lucius Fox is the one that powers the machine.   Gordon can also take tokens off of DC 10th Batman, Fox, and the GCPD bike. The 10th Batman has the Utility Belt Because Gordon can give him the ability to move and he can get into position anywhere before he flurries. Also he can outwit after he moves. The problem is 3 actions and 5 figures and lots of will power.

       Growth is a big thing. But it is amazing how one moment can make you feel like you hit the bottom and then you rebound in a whole new direction. We are forever learning and re-learning.

       I will try to record this weekend. I'm a bit tired and I may have a cold.

Check you all later,
Edward Shelton aka Darklogos


2 comments:

  1. Team 2 looks interesting. With 2 leaderships hopefully that would solve the action problem. Incapping with DC10 bats will also do a number on tentpole teams.

    GL, Excited to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. with team one, while unlikely (For the average person, not for me, I always roll low.)if you miss with your flurry attcks you lose....There is no recovery....I understand the probablity, but still. I have had historically bad rolls so I am hyper aware of this happening to me.

    ReplyDelete