Monday, July 22, 2013

To be a better player and teacher.

Hey all,

              I'm here reading a book reflecting on some lessons learned in the last 72 hours. My reflections are a bit odd but bear with me.

  I was confronted by one of my friends that I start my thinking from a possison of failure. I expect the worse then start my planning. This is truer then I would like to admit.  I have had so many losses that I bank my life and existence on the ability to rally and plan my way to victory. This comment made me reflect on the show. Do I present the same mindset in the show? I realized that I do greatly. Some would say it is a position of fear. I can see that to an extent. What I don't want to do is lead you the reader/listener down the path of fear, anxiety or parnoia.

The second thought came from readin C.S Lewis the Four Loves. Lewis tells a story of Dr. Quartz. Dr. Quartz was loved by his students. He would have dinner with his current and former students. Everyone thought he was a hero. Dr. Quartz would cut off fellowship with his students when they did not agree with his conclusions anymore. Dr. Quartz had trained his students to think but he rejected the product he helped to mold. Dr. Quartz was caught up being right.  That is what I have had to fight time to time doing this show. Pride creeps in so easily and it becomes easy to dicount tech or experiences of others. It is easy to think to highly of past correct perdictions. It is easy to put down things that you just don't like. These are some things I've been faced to process.

That is it. New show going up soon.

Check you all later,
Edward Shelton aka darklogos sent from phone.

1 comment:

  1. Great take Edward, though I will say, sticking to your guns is never wrong either. There has been several times where I have sent teams that I think are good, and you tear them up, and by doing so I usually end up with a better team. The one time I didn't listen to your advise I got owned, and I learned. Yes, you do not want to get to the point where you don't listen to what others are saying. But at the same time, if they are speaking nonsense, then maybe you shouldn't listen quite so intently.

    ReplyDelete