Friday, March 1, 2013

It's a team sport...maybe

Hey,

          I'm going home this weekend to actually play a game of heroclix. Who would have thought? The snow is melting so I can actually drive to Kansas City. I got some cool events this weekend. I'm going to play my Black History month team. Still questioning my line up. It's 500pt golden age 10% feat rule.

jl Cyborg 100
asm Dr. Voodoo 139
Ub 12
Secret Avengers 5
ASM Blade 85
gsx Storm 86
Gotham City Dective 27
IC Black Panther 46

            You will notice I don't have any feats. Most feats I would normally use don't work well when you don't have the same keyword or team ability. I wanted to bring some serious fire power while at the same time covering most of my basis. One thing I noticed is that there isn't that "Superman" like equivalent African American heroclick. I'm not going into NECA is racist. But the source material is really telling.
            You may notice that I don't have Brother Voodoo on the line  up. That was on purpose because I was going to play him at a different tournament. I also had some more complex plans for him. When you add ambidextrous onto Brother Voodoo for 12 points stuff gets silly.

          I wanted to take time to talk about team dials once again. After seeing Titans: Villains for Hire I'm convinced Wizkids is just throwing mechanics out there to see what will stick to move sets. The team mechanic for Villains for Hire is oddly costed and the advantages that the figures have from the asset dial don't give them the offensive power you need in various point games.  When you look at the stats I think they are giving the team dials between vehicle and Colossal. This is the first time out with this mechanic but man I get the feel that this is a money grab. They have a lot to prove to make me pick a team dial over a self design team.

        Wizkids give me some more Colossal figures from D.C. Give me balanced Vehicles. I don't think anyone wanted team dials.

Check you later,
Edward Shelton aka Darklogos


2 comments:

  1. I definitely didn't "want" team dials, but now that they are coming I will get them. I will just keep buying and feeding the machine that is WizKids....Though it is nice to have a couple months to play some figs I have been wanting to play.

    Why didn't you play Black Lightning, he is my favorite outsider and useful for sure. Not a powerhouse, but that outsiders TA is super powerful in the right situations.

    As for hero diversity, I have been arguing this for so long, all the heroes are white guys. What the hell right, and then books that are not white guys just don't sell. I don't know about your area, but in my area the majority of the clientele at the comic shop are white guys. The majority of the writers are white guys. It may just be a culture so engrained with white guys that people don’t even realize how slanted it is.
    Black Panther is one of my favorite characters, Storm is awesome, and she has good clix representation. Batwing, Miles, Powerman, Vixen, John Stewart…all great characters in my Opinion,though it is strange as you brought up that there isn’t a superman caliber hero. Stewart GL maybe, but not really. Do you think audiences would not respond well to a super powerful hero that wasn’t white?


    ReplyDelete