Thursday, August 15, 2013

Thoughts, sleep, stuff, and Sword Art Online

Hey,

       I've been running around trying to get stuff done. Mainly I have applied to get a job over in Korea teaching english. I have to get a lot of paperwork done. I've passed my first round of applications. But I can't go through the second round until I get all my "papers" taken care of. It is one of the many reasons I haven't posted anything.

     Gencon starts today. I should have some early reports starting Friday. I want to see how the world sees the game. Am I in the minority in seeing the meta as being limited? I wonder if that is true.

     I finished looking at the spoilers for WXM. If it wasn't for a few pieces in the meta I would say this would have made me a happy heroclix player. Almost everything is balanced. I really do mean that. It makes me really happy and really sad at the same time. I feel that there are going to be 3 or 4 elements that will break everything again. The first is Hope Summers. If she can copy any power including white powers she will break the game wide open. Shiar Imperial Guard at 300 is all the best elements of Ghost Rider and Justice League put in one package. Of course there is Spiral. Last but not least there is are 2 nice exploits with New Mutants. One of those exploits being Magik and the other being Sunspot.  It frustrates and makes me angry at the same time. I can say that the most fun is possible now in the game, but I can't recommend the game as it is now because of team bases and the "alpha strike" dependent meta.

    The last thing that finished taking up my time was one of the best, richest, and character complex animes I've seen in a long time. Sword Art Online is great. I watched all the episodes with subs. Take away the cousin/oni-chan love crap that is really sick, this by far is one of the best anime's I've seen in a long time. I can say that this is a 15 and older anime with a lot of mature themes that parents should talk about with their kids. The biggest topic being who you are online and who you are offline. I am me and I act the same online as I do offline. One main reason I put my real name out there is to hold myself accountable. While darklogos is my handle it is not my face. It is a gateway I walk through. I know many people that is not the same reality. When they go online it is time to be someone else they fear to be in reality or just want to remove what inhibits them in the social sphere. I can understand that reality as well. One thing that Sword Art Online showed me is that my physical and digital self are both myself. They are both reflections of my character and mindset.

Anyway it is late. I hope to get some Gencon info.

Check you later,
Edward Shelton aka darklogos

1 comment:

  1. Glad for your posts as always.

    You speak Korean, or you don't need to in order to teach English?

    For sure some abusable peices coming, but that dang ghostrider with the ata is just too good.

    I agree with what you are saying about the online accountablity. While I have not seen the show, it is for sure that ones online self, and IRL self are both who they really are. So if someone is a total D-bag online, regardless of how they normally act in the real world, dep down, they are a D-bag simple as that.

    ReplyDelete